Ice Fishing in Sylvan Lake
Ice fishing has evolved. At Sylvan Lake, there’s a lot more to it than drilling a hole in the ice and waiting in the cold for a fish to bite. Ice fishing is an epic battle between angler and fish. This sport is fantastic family-friendly fun – whether you’re watching fish swim by the fishcam, relaxing in a heated ice fishing shack, enjoying a bonfire on the ice or reeling in a big one.
Ice Fishing for Beginners
Ice fishing might seem intimidating if you’ve never done it before, but it doesn’t need to be. Here are a few tips to get you started.
- Alberta Fishing License – You can purchase a fishing license at select locations throughout the province or you can purchase a license online and store a copy of it on your phone.
- What You Can Catch – Sylvan Lake has some of the best sport fishing in Alberta. There are Lake Whitefish, walleye, burbot, yellow perch and pike to be caught. Some anglers have reported catching trophy pike weighing 20 pounds or more. It should be noted that walleye and pike are catch and release only.
- Dress for the Elements – If you’re cold, you won’t have fun. Dress in layers. Make sure you wear a warm gloves, warm winter boots, snow pants, a hat, a scarf and a winter parka. If you rent a heated shelter, you won’t need to wear as much gear, but if you plan to sit outside and have a bonfire, you’ll be glad you brought your warm clothes along.
- Test the Ice Thickness – Make sure the ice is at least 10 cm (4 inches) thick before you venture out. Check with a local ice fishing rental shop or tackle shop to make sure the ice is thick enough to support your weight.
- Get the Gear (And Some Advice) – In Sylvan Lake, you can rent everything you need for ice fishing at Sunsport Recreation Ltd. They can supply poles, hooks, lures, bait, an ice auger, an ice hut with a fishcam and more. If you rent a heated ice shelter, they even drill the holes for you. They also provide a fire pit, wood and advice for successfully catching a fish.
Options – Stay for a Few Hours or Stay Overnight
You can rent a shelter for a few hours or longer. If you want to do something truly unique, rent a heated shelter with a bed in it and stay on the ice overnight. There are several different types of shelters available to rent – from tents to converted campers with comfortable benches and beds.
Where to Get the Gear
In Sylvan Lake, you can rent everything you need for a successful day of ice fishing from Sunsport Recreation Ltd.
Catch a Thrill – Ice Fishing at Sylvan Lake
Ice fishing at Sylvan Lake isn’t your typical vacation – it’s better. There are two main kinds of excitement – watching a big fish swim close to your lure in the fishcam and reeling that fish in. There are also other activities to enjoy like bonfires on the ice, a picnic inside an ice hut, snowshoeing on the lake and wild skating. Afterwards, there are wonderful restaurants to enjoy and good food and drinks to warm up with.